Improving Course Quality Using Articulate Storyline
INDUSTRY: Higher Ed
TECHNOLOGY USED: Articulate Storyline 2
About The Client
The client is a leading private university located in the United States. They provide accessible world-class healthcare education to the next generation of dedicated professionals. Their innovative training experiences and a diverse, supportive community prepare professionals to face the challenges of the changing healthcare landscape. They follow a unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education—combining critical thinking with hands-on experience to put students “ahead of the curve.” Across their seven modern facilities worldwide, they offer focused undergraduate degree programs in nursing and dental hygiene and master’s and doctorate programs in nursing, health administration, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and pharmacy.
The client has been delivering online training programs to nurses and physicians. Their online learning solutions simplify the management of a training and continuing education program.
The client had a fully-adept team of Instructional Designers (ID) working on the curriculum course’s content instructional designing in-house. They were looking to scale up their eLearning development without compromising on quality. They decided to look beyond their existing vendor pool to do so.
Given the fact that the training that the university imparted had a direct impact on the student learning outcomes, they wanted to develop higher-quality courses for:
- Intuitive learning experiences
- Better understanding and comprehension
To do this, they needed assistance with the following elements of course development:
- Storyline development
- Multimedia production
- SCORM compliance
- Reviews and feedback capture
- Upload ready courses to the LMS
Harbinger developed multiple curriculum programs with the client for over 3 years. The duration of the courses were an 8-week curriculum of 45 minutes each for each university program.
The client specified standards and guidelines for the look and feel, design, and branding to ensure uniformity across courses. Harbinger created a dedicated team of Storyline developers, Multimedia developers, Quality Analysts (QAs), and Project Manager (PM) to develop the courses.
During the project’s term, the following tasks were performed as part of the complete development and production process:
- Created a thorough checklist to ensure conformity to the standard design and development guidelines
- Provided training to the project team on the set standards and guidelines
- Basecamp was chosen for internal and external team collaboration
- Developed the courses using Articulate Storyline 2 based on the storyboard provided by the client
- Followed a template-driven approach to develop the course screens
- Added animations, transitions, and interactivities to make courses more engaging
- Integrated audio, video, and other multimedia files in the courses
- The courses were made SCORM 1.2 compliant with status, page-level bookmarking, and completion features
Testing and QA
- Quality analysis and peer reviews were done to test functionality, usability, accessibility,and compliance standards
- QA cycle involved testing on multiple devices, browsers, and OS combinations
- Course inspector tool was used to capture the reviews and feedback from the SMEs (subject matter experts)
- The majority of the courses were signed-off during the alpha testing phase
- Approved courses were uploaded on the client’s Learning Management System (LMS) – Blackboard LMS
The client successfully launched these courses to a sizeable target audience, muchahead of the estimated time. Some of the benefits included:
- Improved quality and consistency of the training programs
- Multimedia integration enhanced the learning experience and engagement
- SCORM 1.2 compliancefacilitated increased flexibility for tracking learners and courses
- Seamless integration of new courses into the client’s learning management system
“The course looks terrific, and we can call this one complete! Thank you so much for your hard work; the presentations look terrific!”
– Senior Career Services Specialist